Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Before I forget about it we need to consider one of the most important pieces of safety equipment there is. Safety glasses are a simple and effective means of protecting your precious eyesight. You would expect to need protection from small splinters of steel produced by grinding and polishing but there are also many other potential threats from flying projectiles. I admit that sometimes I forget to put on my safety glasses because I must wear reading glasses in order to clearly see what I am doing. But most reading glasses do not offer adequate protection. So I find that I can easily fit the safety glasses over the reading glasses. I have had to go to the eye doctor before to have a speck of metal removed from an eyeball. It was not a big deal but it can be easily avoided by simply keeping a pair or two of these glasses handy. It just might save you from something more substantial than a small speck.


A good solid foundation is required for anything regardless of how large or small it is. Before we run off and start cutting metal and throwing things together there are a few basic and simple procedures you can employ to make it go in a more orderly fashion. First of all I will admit that I am not the neatest person in the world. If you think my work area can get messy then you ought to see what I can do in a kitchen. Some people say clean as you go and then you can keep a reasonably neat work area. I usually mess up as I go and then end up having to spend a lot of time cleaning up. Whatever your style just remember that a clean work area is a safer work area. Cleanliness may not be next to Godliness but it is headed in the right direction.


I will start by cleaning up this mess.


It is important to lay a straight and level foundation frame for the rest of the cart to rest on. You can accomplish this in a number of ways. You can use saw horses or even a cement garage floor. I prefer to build a wooden table large enough to accommodate the frame. This way the work is at an easily accessible height and can be constrained so that it will not move around as you tack weld the various parts together. I built my table out of a used piece of 3/4" thick plywood and two by fours. I had built it for a single seat project so you can see it is just barely wide enough for the Trail King.



I will be using one inch square tube with a 1/8" wall thickness for the floor frame. I cannot really give any engineering data that shows it will be strong enough. Just a little experience over the years shows that this is adequate to carry the weight of a small cart. It is helpful to make patterns for the individual frame lengths in order to measure the correct length.


A good way to mark the individual lengths is to use a scribe. I just sharpen a small punch for this purpose. Of course you can also use a magic marker as long as you cut on the correct side of the mark.





You will also need a light weight weight pair of leather gloves unless you just like grime and blisters.








Here is a simple feature on the chop saw that can really speed up clamping. It is a quick release that allows you to move the slack forwards or backwards in order to clamp different widths of parts.This shows the clamp closed and ready to tighten.







This shows the clamp open so that you can quickly move it forward or backwards.


Another advantage of making a template is that it helps in adjusting the angle of the clamp for angled parts.


Another handy item is framing blocks to hold the metal parts in place for tack welding. These are made out of 3/4" thick plywood and measure one and one half inches by three inches. Just drill two holes large enough for an adequate wood screw to screw them firmly in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment