Wednesday, June 23, 2010

With the T nuts securely in place we can now unbolt the front screws and remove the seat. All of the mounting holes should line up perfectly when it is reassembled. Here is a shot of the front mounting brackets.

The T nuts in place.

Our next job is to find some suitable cushion for the seat. I want my girls to have a comfortable ride. I sell industrial sponge in my business so I have chosen a closed cell neoprene sponge for the cushion. One half inch thick is the softest material I have so I will just glue 4 pieces together. You can use any kind of cellular foam that you like. Next we will need a suitable fabric to cover the seat. I am going to let Grammy pick out the fabric because I think it is going to be hard to choose something that goes with a pink color scheme. This will be interesting.


There are still a lot of loose ends to keep working on at this point so I will just pick out the most obvious first. I am not happy with the bracing at the nose of the chassis. There are numerous ways to improve the integrity of the connecting components by use of bracing. We will add a couple of braces to the front nose section.
The hardest part is getting the angles right on the ends so that they are flush and tight. Once again the magnets are a great help in holding the braces in place.

There will be a recurring theme as we continue to brace and support the frame. "Triangulation". You will notice that the bracing will form a triangle whenever possible. This will allow for optimum strength to handle the various twisting forces that will be applied to the frame. There is something about the shape of a triangle that feeds the loads equally in all directions thereby strengthening the whole frame. Just think about the Pyramids. As we go upwards with the frame we will be triangulating. It is 95 degrees in this garage at 8:00 PM tonight. I think I will call it quits, go inside and write a song about triangulation!

No comments:

Post a Comment