Monday, April 12, 2010

"Haste makes waste". This old adage often bears relevance to a project like this. Also the phrase, " Measure twice and cut once". More on that in a moment.
Before we tack the axle mounts in place there is one more thing to do. We do not want to tighten the bolts too snugly on the nylon pivot bearings because we want it to be free to flex up and down to compensate for bumps and dips in the road surface. In order to keep the bolt from turning we just need to tack on a small piece of 1/8" steel to the edge of the bolt to keep it from twisting as the swing arms pivot on them. We are only welding the small shim on three sides to the mount but not to the bolt itself. This way the bolt can be easily removed as necessary.
Now back to the haste and waste thing. Few of us have nothing more to do than to go to the garage and spend hours on end to work on a project. We have to steal an hour or two here and there. It is important to use the time wisely in order to make progress. I came out here tonight all ready to get this rear end tacked into place so we can be sure everything is falling into place as planned. As I said before I want to be through by the beginning of summer which I consider to be June first. That is not too many weeks away. So all I needed to do was weld the bolt stops on the mounts and proceed with the fit up. So why didn't someone notice that I was welding the stops on the wrong side of the mounts? It only took about 45 minutes to get all four stops firmly welded in place. Boy was I disappointed when I went to reassemble the swing arms. I was even thinking to myself the whole time, "Now don't get into a big rush here because you know what can happen". So once again I had to put the cutoff disc on the angle grinder and grind the stops off and grind the surface flat with the flap disc. I had to start all over again but there was no one to blame but myself. "Measure twice and cut once" is a good adage to apply to any construction project. I could have saved a lot of time and effort by simply checking the fit after the first stop was tacked on. Live and relearn.








No comments:

Post a Comment