Friday, April 16, 2010

Now that the nose is tacked into place we can begin building the bracing and shock towers for the front suspension. You will recall that the floor frame is made with 1" square tube with a 1/8" wall thickness. We will be using 1" and 3/4" square tube with a 1/16" wall thickness for the rest of the framing. I had already installed the framing for the front firewall some time ago just to make it look like I was doing something. It is very easy to become discouraged when building any project. Sometimes when I get tired at night after working on the cart I feel like I'm not getting anywhere and just want to give it up. It took me two hours just to get these two front nose braces cut and in place. The point is that it is OK to use psychology on yourself. I know a carpenter that can frame a house in record time but don't expect the finish work to ever be completely done. He loves to see progress and that is what drives him. That is OK. Tedious and time consuming tasks are often the most important in terms of assuring everything fits and works together properly but it is often hard to tell visually that anything was accomplished. So go ahead and bolt on a seat or stick the steering wheel in place as long as it will not interfere with the rest of the construction. The idea is to show progress and begin to get a feeling of accomplishment. This next photo shows a little more clealy the front nose brace ready to tack in place. These braces fit at an angle. This requires cutting compound angles in order to get the braces to fit flush with the pick up points. I employ a highly sophisticated method to determine these compound angles. I use a special tool for measuring the angles. The technical term for the device is an angle measurin thang. If that doesn't work then I put a piece of metal tube between the pick up points and hold my mouth just right and make a precision looking mark with a magic marker then walk over to the vise, insert the tube at an angle and get out the hack saw. Then I go to work with the bench grinder which will have to work some overtime.
That should hold the nose firmly in place so we can continue the fit up of the front suspension. That will primarily consist of fitting up the rack and pinion steering and placement of the shock mounts. I have the shocks on order but they have not come in yet. I found some at a fairly decent price. I hope the quality is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment