Friday, October 9, 2009

Hello and welcome to Joeys Go Cart Paige. And yes that is the way I meant to spell Paige. Paige is my oldest grand daughter and I promised to build a cart for her and younger sister Ashlyn. If you are like me then you will see something that gives you an idea that you would like to try even though you are not sure it is within your capabilities. A similar thing happened to me several years ago. I saw an advertisement for a set of plans to build a backhoe you could tow behind your truck. http://ubuilditplans.com/webpage4_page2.htm It looked really useful. Sure! I told my wife, we have plenty of uses for it like, like, well maybe not so many. But it was very interesting and fun and I learned to weld and form steel and mill parts... more on that later. But here is the deal. I wanted to see if it is possible for me to give a step by step tutorial on building a motorized Go Cart that does not take for granted that we know anything. One of the frustrations I have when trying to follow instructions is just plain not understanding the wording or the graphics or whatever. I am amazed by the intricacies of the English language. I often misspell words or get them backwards. Did I misspell mispell. I don't know. Sometimes I will be at a loss to think of a very simple word that would convey the thought I am trying to, uh convey. At that point I may use ten unnecessary words.To make it worse I have poor hearing. I may belabor points that would seem of no significance to others. For instance, is it Go Kart or Go Cart. I could waste a lot of time wondering. I choose to spell it with a C. I am not a good speller. But I notice that the F key is located
just one space up above the C key on the key board. Just one slip of the finger and we could be talking about an intirely different project. It may be the minor details that throw me off. I can perform some task that seems to me to be fairly intricate and then miss something seemingly very simple. I can catch on to things really quick sometimes but then sometimes it may take a while. The first time I used the mouse on the computer it really didn't take me that long to learn you could just lift it up and reposition it when you get to the end of the pad. But I was really getting nervouse. There is a red line under that last word so lets try nervous. But that's what I mean. What would the detailed instructions look like to build a simple Go Cart. How many pages of detailed specs, drawings and instructions would it take. Could it be accomplished in a lifetime? I think it may be time to find out.

Oh yes and I must issue this disclaimer. Here it is. "Safety First". However a free society and a "risk" free society cannot coexist. There is a certain amount of inherent danger in fabrication. That means that some unintended harmful consequences may occur during normal ( I am trying to find the right word) doing of stuff. (Yeah that sounded really good). I, along with countless others can attest to this, sometimes with bodily scars as reminders. But that is just the way it is. When you put solid sharp things together with heat, gasses, splinters, electricity and pinch points then the stage is set for success as well as tragedy. Sometimes one may wreak more havoc dancing about the work space sporting a hot chunk of slag burning a hole in a wool sock that was not supposed to be exposed in the first place. But sometimes you learn a great deal more by being allowed to make a mistake or two. It is about learning what "not" to do as well as what to do. If you want more of a sure thing then perhaps you should stick with building a doll house. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment