Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Who is Joey? This is a question I often ask myself because, uh, I am Joey. Shakespear says, "To be or not to be?" That is a question alright. But what does that have to do with tools?
Good tools are like comfort food. The best of both worlds is having good tools and comfort food. I get a good warm feeling when I go to the hardware store. I get a specially warm feeling when I go to the ACE Hardware store near my house. They have free Popcorn. So here is my point. In a sense, a certain part of us is defined by the tools we posses. We like to showcase our tools with pride regardless of how humble or inexpensive. I am fortunate to have tools I have inherited from my Father and Granfather. I have Grandpas plumbing tools, and a railroad stave. Dad gave me his heavy duty ratchet set he used for working on the tractors at the farm. I am amazed at how much work can be accomplished with very simple tools. Of course it helps to have some skill as well. But isn't that part of the reason for attempting a project like this, to learn some new skills as well as create something functional and useful. So as with everything else, when it comes to quality and functionality you get what you pay for. Most all of us have the basic screw drivers, wrenches, hack saws, and drills. But in order to build a Go Cart it will take some aditional equipment. Since this project will require metal fabrication, you will need some items not found in the ordinary home garage. The following is a list of the main items.
1. Band Saw
2. 4 1/2" Angle Grinder
3. Pipe Bender
4. chop saw
5. Welding Machine
All of these items can be found in costs ranging from modest to rediculouse. I will attempt to give you the options for each item and the minimum performance capabilities required for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment