Monday, May 3, 2010

The short side of the mount lined up perfectly and the magnets held it firmly until I could tack it in place. But wait.. isn't it supposed to be on the other side of the jig. Oh yeah now I remember that I changed it around for some reason when I was bolting it on to the jig. It is a simple matter to untack it and redo it. But I mention this because I wonder how often it happens to anyone else. I am not talking about just making a mistake. That is going to happen to even the most talented. What I am talking about is something that happens to me occasionally after making a mistake. In this case I just wanted to finish this mount before calling it a night. So once I found out my mistake I simply ground off the tack welds and ground everything smooth again. Then I spent the next hour trying to get the mount lined up correctly without success. How could I hold it in place so easily the first time and then not even get close 5 minutes later? I tried to use 3 different magnets to hold the mount in place but it just kept falling apart. I doubt I could have done it with six arms and five monkeys. Everything had just fallen into place smoothly when I did it wrong the first try. Now I couldn't get it to work no matter what I did. After an hour I decided my time would be better spent in bed. Which brings me to another phenomenon I wonder about. Have you ever been trying to fix something without success and then dream about the answer to the problem? I have done this more than once and have talked to others that have experienced it as well. That is the power of the subconscious. Maybe I could work better if I was asleep. Wow! What an idea. Sleep all day while you are working and then stay up all night doing the other things you want to do.
Here is a picture of a mount precisely tacked in the wrong spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment