Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sometimes I let my imagination get carried away. I like to imagine that inanimate objects share in our human emotions. OK. I will try to stay on task. The thing I like most about metal fabrication is the fact that it doesn't necessarily have to look good to be strong and functional. But the goal is for our work to be both attractive and sturdy. Sometimes I will achieve one without the other. Sometimes I achieve neither. But when it all comes together as a strong, beautiful, functional as well as useful creation, then we have achieved our goal. If you are like me then you have no ambition of becoming a master craftsman but you are interested in improving as well as learning new skills. I mention this because it is very easy to become discouraged when things do not seem to go together perfectly. I fret about this constantly. But the fact of the matter is that the most important thing is to try to learn from mistakes and do better in the future.
So now we need to figure out how to connect the top of the rear shocks to the frame. The process is very similar to what we did at the front end. We use the same connecting jig to establish correct spacing. You will recall that it will space us at one half inch shorter than the actual shock length. Once we have a visual perspective of approximately where the shock mounts need to be then we can fabricate a top shock mount or "shock tower" as they are sometimes referred to. I like the term "shock tower". It sounds like some kind of huge complicated engineering marvel. " Yeah, I worked on the shock towers last night. I had to quit after getting about 40ft. up because the wind was coming up." Actually I was quite comfortable sitting there on my bucket boss throwing back a cold bottle of water while measuring out the parts needed for the towers. Like everything else it starts out very basic, two lonely pieces of metal like ships passing in the night. One piece says to the other, "Hey look what I can do." The other says "you look like an L bracket so hold it right there while I get Mr. welders attention."
The next thing you know Guss the gusset arrives a little late to the party and they ask him to stick around.


Before you know it Maggie the magnet wants to get in on the action and insists on a group photo.
I never realized how romantic metal could be.

We will need a couple of gussets on top but we can add them later.


No comments:

Post a Comment