Tuesday, August 16, 2011



Paige was wondering if her Go Cart was going to have anything to cover the open bottom of the floor board. I told her she was just going to have to hang her feet out of the bottom. That way she could just drag her feet for a brake like Fred Flintstone. She did not much like that idea so I will use some aluminum diamond plate for the floor board and trim. This material cuts very easily with a jig saw equipped with a metal cutting blade. Now one thing you have to be careful of is the orientation of your template when cutting the material. You will notice that there is a shiny side and a dull side to the diamond plate. Of course you want for the shiny side to be the side that is exposed to view. You will also notice that I have the sheet turned upside down as it is easier to mark the outline of the template. "This is a mistake". Does anyone know why? That's right, the section will be backwards when you try to install it. Why didn't someone warn me, I only have just so much of this plate.
I think this is going to look really good.





Here is the mini saw I was talking about earlier. It is really just a small keyhole saw but it is perfect for cutting foam or wood.




Now it is time to start the final fab. I have been waiting for this day. We need some kind of bed on the back of the cart to finish out the profile. I have been trying to decide just how tall the profile should be so that it will look OK as well as fit above the engine. Once again I will use the framing blocks to hold the frame as it is tack welded in place.





No comments:

Post a Comment