Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Seat Belts have arrived. I decided to go with just a lap belt. Shoulder harnesses are nice but they can be too cumbersome on a slow moving cart like this one. This buggy has a very low center of gravity along with a fairly wide track so I don't believe the kids will be getting thrown around a lot. I will be installing three sets. So how many kids will be riding at one time? If you said four or five you are probably correct. The linkage for the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal has been adjusted and firmly bolted in place.




I continue to reinforce the hood and shape it to fit correctly. We will need a way to connect it to the frame. I just happen to have this metal L bracket that will do the trick. I needed an extra set of hands to hold the hood in place while I measured for the placement of the bracket so I got Brenda Brackett to help me. That was her maiden name. The pet monkeys refuse to work in this heat. The following photo shows the first coat of fiberglass and epoxy holding the bracket firmly in place. Grammy Brenda has great plans for the paint job on the hood. I think you are going to like it.




The bed is coming along pretty well. As I said this is the final fab of the project. I feel a bit nostalgic. No I don't! This has gone on far too long. Even the pet monkeys are ready to push it off a cliff. I will use a simple hinge made from 1" and 3/4" schedule 40 pipe. The smaller pipe fits perfectly inside of the larger to make for a smooth rotating hinge. I built a small pedestal on the rear of the frame to support the the bed. A piece of 1" pipe is welded onto the pedestal to form the basis for the pivoting bed. The rear of the cart is perfectly level with both shocks dialed up all the way as you can see if you enlarge this next photo. How did that happen? I have no idea.



































No comments:

Post a Comment