Thursday, September 2, 2010

Miss Paige was not around when I attached the steering shaft to the cart and boy was I way off. So I had to untack the bracket from the frame and get Miss Paige to show me the best location for the steering wheel. I did not need the extension any longer so I had to grind it off and just use the mount itself which is welded directly to the frame.
OK. Now it's back to the Pedal assembly. Sometimes it is best to bolt an Assembly onto the frame and sometimes it is just fine to weld it on. The convenient aspect of bolting a component as opposed to welding it is that it is a bit easier to move it to another location. I think it would be a good idea to have as much flexibility in the placement of the pedal because kids have a tendency to grow and that means that legs and arms get longer. So I welded some extra reinforcement on the pedal frame to both stiffen it up and provide a place for drilling the connecting holes.


I have welded on an extra piece of angle iron at the front of the cart frame for attaching the pedal frame. It is just a matter of placing the pedal frame in the correct position and drilling through both at the same time.


Now we can begin to get an idea of the angle at which we need to place the pedal. The pedal itself is simply a piece of 1/4" thick steel 2 1/2" wide and approximately 7" long. It should offer plenty of leverage to push the spring on the control valve.



The control valve itself will stow nicely underneath the seat.






Now we can get an idea of the length of the extension from the pedal assembly to the control valve. I do not have the handle connecting to the control valve in the next photo. It will be used without the cantilever. It just so happens that the handle fits perfectly inside of the 1/2" tube so it will be very easy to spot weld it into place and then change the length later if needed. I would like to say I planned it that way but I did not.

We need to be sure that the clevis is positioned so that it is somewhere in the middle of it's arc of movement before adjusting the length of the extension tube.



I keep remembering how successful I was in guessing where to put the steering wheel. (not very!) So here is the set up tentavely put in place. Is it anywhere near where it needs to be? Maybe we should see what Miss Paige thinks first.

You will notice that her feet will not quite reach the floor board. I already knew that much from when I had her try out the seat. I needed to raise the pedal assembly a little bit anyway in order to keep it from running beneath the floor board. The first thing she said was, "That might last me a couple of years." Isn't she smart?

Now we can tack the pedal in place.



No comments:

Post a Comment