Sunday, September 12, 2010

Now this is more like it. The roll bar is now made in one piece and it is straight in both planes. It is not perfect but I learned some of the tricks of bending pipe. Like I said before the only way to learn how to bend pipe is to do it.

I finally saved enough money to buy the engine I wanted. It is a Honda GX160. It has a 160 cc cylinder and is rated somewhere around 5 horse power. Now this is the top of the line commercial grade engine. It is the same engine you will find on rental equipment. You can buy an off brand engine for less than half the price and that would work fine. But this Honda engine is built much sturdier and will start every time you pull the rope. It is certainly not necessary to buy a new engine either but you stand the chance of getting a used engine that needs repairs if you go that route.

I knew that it was going to be a tight fit in the engine bay but it looks like I can make this work.


You can see in the next photo that I will have to shorten the jack shaft in order to move the engine over far enough to get it inside the engine bay. I had planned to mount the brake disc on the outside of the drive sprocket frame. I have placed the brake disc inside the frame next to the drive sprocket and it looks like there will be enough room for the brake disc, drive sprocket and idler sprocket. It looks like I will be able to mount the brake caliper from the top of the frame.


No comments:

Post a Comment